WHAT IS THE VEREIN?
‘The Society of Parents and Friends of the John F. Kennedy School Berlin’ is more commonly referred to simply as The Verein. This state-registered organization is run entirely by parent volunteers and was established in 1962 to support and encourage academic and infrastructural development in the JFKS community.
The Verein works closely with parents, staff and students to maintain and improve the school’s educational facilities and materials. Its activities are funded entirely by annual membership fees and fund-raising events which are held throughout the school year. Examples of these events include the annual Fun Run, Fun Day and Spooktacular.
Parent support is vital. Each membership contribution helps provide a learning environment in which the JFKS students can thrive and excel.
Here’s a list of some of the departments and activities the Verein supports as well as materials it provides for the student community:
- Music department (Upkeep and insurance of instruments)
- Sports department (purchase and maintenance of equipment)
- Parent Newsletter
- The Graduation Ceremony
- The new Bicycle Traffic School
- Transport costs for the 8th Grade Ski Trip
- Lockers for High School students
- Annual Thank You reception for all teachers
- Odyssey of the Mind
- BERMUN (Berlin Model United Nations)
- Wooden deck next to Haus Reil
- Outdoor wavy benches near the High School’s white building
- Indoor benches in the High School’s blue building
- Outdoor patio and awning behind the Aula
- Regular subscription to the New York Times for the High School library
Are you already a member? If so The Verein is very grateful for your continued support. Please consider volunteering to help out with the various ongoing projects that take place. It is one of the easiest ways to get to know the school and our wonderful community! Anyone can help (you don’t need to be a parent rep. for your child’s class to do so)
Please come to a Verein meeting which are held monthly in the Film Room (GR 117) to find out more about our work. Our remaining meeting dates for this semester are:
- The Annual General Membership meeting has been postponed due to the current restrictions on gatherings of large group. As soon as it is possible to determine a new date this information will be posted here and all our members notified by email.
- There is no meeting in April.
- Wednesday, May 13th
- Friday, June 19th
If you are not yet a member you can sign up online at: theverein.com/join-the-verein Family membership costs 75€ per annum and is tax deductible.